Friday, May 30, 2008

Top 21 Video Games or Gaming Moments of all TIIIIIIIIIME!!!!!!!!

Now a lot of people my age go on and on about "remember when" when they speak of the classics, but they may be letting the "good 'ol days" unduly influence their judgment. I'll try to avoid that pitfall (sorry) when I present my list here of all-time favs. I think there is obviously some merit to first time experiences in regards to gaming. I wasn't someone who had just discovered gaming after all. These were, more often than not, the first of their kind, the definition of innovation. As I've recognized more current iterations and evolutions of games, it has occurred to me that I was fortunate to be there for what essentially was the Jimi Hendrix, the Woodstock and the Beatles of video games. But not all the best gaming experiences in my life occurred before Gorbi was still in charge of the Kremlin.

Number 21: Atari 2600 Adventure
This one may have been produced when Carter was still in office, and it was the first video game I ever played. I'm not going to explain the intricacies of it, other than to say that it had the first easter egg in video games: a black dot (like your character, except much smaller, and black) that would enable you to get to a special credits screen. The following video leaves out the epic battles. You can actually pick up a sword, a golden arrow, and plunge it deep into the belly of the beast (it was a dragon, not a duck). It was these battles, the easter egg, the bat that would come steal my items with a surprisingly clever AI, trading me a dragon for a chalice, and that special "glow" of the chalice, which was the Atari's way of saying "special...this"---the whole experience that not only entertained me for hours, but likely inspired many future game developers. My imagination seemed to fill in the sizable gaps very easily. Check it out on you tube. What I'm showing you here is just a taste, the first level of 3 difficulties. Imagine, if you will, a bat that randomly exchanges objects, or "the catacombs", or possibly the introduction of a red dragon that is faster and more powerful than the other two of its kind. Eh? Eh?

No comments: